Although this news item is more than one week old, and as such would be considered by Steve Jobs to be “Obsolete”, I decided to reblog this for those who missed it and have an interest in iOS development.
Essentially Apple has decided to relax a few harsh restrictions it previously placed into its developers agreement. For example – a restriction on the usage of 3rd party developer tools & languages has been lifted, making it possible to develop an iOS app with monotouch using c#, and perhaps even with Adobe Flash tools.
The second announcement, which perhaps is even more important is that Apple has finally decided to shed some light on their app review process and published the “App Store Review Guidelines“. There are a lot of interesting points, and some are written with very blunt language, making the document more interesting and at times even funny. The document is pretty short, so I recommend reading it through.
The latest jailbreak, released yesterday by @comex, is finally here. Now, you can upgrade and jailbreak all your iDevices (iPhone, iPods and iPads), especially those iPhone 3GS’s that were waiting for this jailbreak, in-order to upgrade to iOS4, or iPads running 3.2.1 and iPhone 4’s. iPhone 4’s aren’t relevant yet here in Israel, but the 3GS’s definitely are, not to mention loads of new iPads coming in.
This jailbreak procedure is the simplest imaginable, and as the title of this post implies, it’s not the first time it’s been used.
Here’s what you need to do: goto http://jailbreakme.com from your mobile safari, where you’ll find a site designed to look like a native iPhone screen, with an iPhone looking slider control at the bottom. When you use the slider, the website will send the jailbreak data to your iPhone and carry out the procedure. The whole process takes about one minute, and it works for all firmwares since 3.1.2.
First off, I would like to apologize to those of you reading this post, for it’s lack of writing style. Please acknowledge that this is my first blog post and as such there will be a lot of room for improvements.
I guess what kick started me is the inspiring work Apple has done on it’s latest creation – the new iPhone 4. I’ve followed Steve Jobs keynote address and it got me really excited, enough that I felt the urge to share this with those of you who know me.
I’ve had a bit of a dilemma whether to post this in Hebrew or English, but have decided on the later, mostly as writing about technology sucks in hebrew, because of the constant need to switch to english for tech terms. I would love to hear what you think about that decision, so feel free to pass me your comments either here or by email, post mail, phone, telegraph or face-to-face.
Ok… let’s begin.
First off Apple has stated they feel that the iPhone 4 is the most significant leap since the first iPhone came out in 2007, and I completely agree with them. I will cover the most important features and advancements.
- All New Design – and what a beautiful design it is. The new phone has aluminosilicate glass plates on both front and back engineered by apple to be 20 times stiffer and 30 times stronger than plastic, which means it is much more scratch resistant and durable than before, great for those of you who have the habit of putting the phone in your pocket with spare change or keys, and even better for those of you who have the tendency to drop it on the floor every once in a while (Sagi – i’m talking to you).It’s 24% thinner than previous models, 9.3mm if you want the exact number, which makes it the thinnest smart phone on the planet.The frame is a stainless steel band, and because it’s 5 times stronger than normal steel that allows for it’s thin design to be possible. The frame also acts as the iPhone’s antennas which minimizes components space requirements.
Beautiful New Design
- HD LCD Display – they’re calling it the Retina Display, because at 960-by-640 resolution, it boasts an amazing 326 pixels per inch, which by Steve’s account is more than our eyes can distinguish. That means that text will look sharper than ever and graphics incredibly vivid. With that capability they now added the iBooks store/app so you’r iPhone might really become an e-reader too.
- Cameras – There are both front and back cam’s, and before I get to their specs, I would like to talk about the new FaceTime calls feature. This is essentially what Apple’s calling their Video conferencing feature.
Until now, mobile video conferencing has really been an unused feature available with many phones, but now I predict (and as most of you know my predications are hardly ever wrong), that this will do for mobile video conferencing calls what iphone’s mobile safari did to mobile web browsing.
Mobile web browsing usage before iPhone was around 5% with other handsets, and when the iPhone came out that jumped to around 85%. I have the feeling that we’ll see something along that line with this, because their implementation looks like something captain kirk & spock would envy. Simple to use, it will allow both horizontal & vertical display and with great ease you’ll be able to switch to the back camera to stream what you are seeing. Imagine talking to your parents and then switching to the back cam to show them their grandchildren doing something cute or funny.
Now for the specs:
- Back Camera – 5 megapixels still camera with a LED flash, and in video mode this camera will capture 720p 30FPS video ! which coupled together with the new iMovie app (5$), will be fan-fuckin-tastic !
- Front Camera – VGA cam (640×480) @ 30FPS.
- Tap to focus.
- 5x digital zoom.
iPhone's iMovie app
- Battery & CPU – There is a new processor called A4 which is both powerful and efficient and together with a new battery will allow for unprecedented usage times:
- 6 hrs 3G browsing.
- 10 hrs WIFI browsing.
- 10 hrs video.
- 40 hrs music
- 300 hrs standby.
- Mic – Two mic’s: one for recording your voice while the other records background noise inorder to carry out noise cancellation. No more – “I can’t hear you with all that noise, what did you say again ?! “
- Pricing – 199$ for 16GB and 299$ for 32GB, but we don’t know what the plans look like yet, and we surely don’t know what that translates to here in Israel, but in any case it might be a little less expensive than before. Btw the 3GS will be sold only as an 8GB model for 99$.
- Release Date
- USA, UK, France, Germany & japan – in two weeks (june 24) !
- 18 more countries in july.
- 24 in August.
- 40 in September.
Needless to say it looks like Israel will be in the last batch, but even that is just 3 months away !
Btw, this is the exact timeline I predicted, OMG I love to be right ! 🙂
Now there are a few more things to talk about and other stuff they announced, like the iPhone OS renamed as iOS 4 and it’s availability on June 21, but it’s already 3:45 am, and I have to goto sleep so I hope you enjoyed reading this and I can’t wait to read and hear your comments.
מי שלא קופץ אנדרויד, מי שלא קופץ אנדרויד !!